Do you have a missionary home? Is your family interested in missions? Have you taught and exemplified a missionary life style? Let me explain.
1. Have you and your spouse committed your lives to the Great Commission of our Lord Jesus Christ? Is your life dedicated to glorifying God by evangelism and discipleship?
2. Are you raising your children and grandchildren to consider a life on the mission field; to be open to God’s call to full-time Christian work; to value the privilege of devoting one’s life to the proclamation of the Gospel?
3. Do your children and grandchildren know that you pray for missionaries, give to support missionaries, entertain travelling missionaries and are involved in your local church’s missions program and missionary meetings?
4. Have you gone or have you encouraged your children or grandchildren to go on short-term mission trips?
5. Do you encourage your children or grandchildren to attend at least one year of a missionary focused Bible institute such as NBBI.
At NBBI our students have courses in missions each of their three years, regular weekly chapels where missionaries and Christian workers challenge us as to the vast, exciting opportunities that exist around the world. Our students have access to our mission teams that train and pray during our school year and then go forth for God in committed service. In 2010, we have one team going to Uruguay, South America, one team going to the inner city of Halifax, NS and two teams going to Bermuda.
We are far behind in our task of getting the Gospel to the world in each generation. There are often more missionaries coming home than are going forth.
Why have we made secular work, secure careers, university education, high salaries, good benefits, comfortable retirement and the accumulation of this world’s goods so important to our children and grandchildren? What about a life of faith, a life of service, a life of sacrifice, a life devoted to the call of Jesus?
Do our children and grandchildren see our homes as missionary homes and do they see our lives devoted to the Great Commission?
This article appears in the February 2010 Open Bible Bulletin.